Bin collection arrangements have been confirmed for the festive period as follows:
- Collections taking place on Tuesday-Friday and are unaffected by Christmas and New Year this year.
- There will be no collections on Christmas Day and Boxing Day or New Year’s Day and 2January as usual, as these fall on a Saturday and Sunday.
- Our kerbside wheelie bin recycling service users should put their bins out for collection on their usual days.
- There will be no garden waste collections between 20 December 2021 and 17 January 2022.
- All other collections will run as normal.
- We’ll accept small amounts of extra waste that can’t fit in bins, but it must be placed neatly beside the bin.
- We’ve chosen not to write to residents this year because there are no changes to the collection schedule. This will realise a saving of £50,000.
- We will send out information on Social Media and Radio to confirm no changes to the collection schedule.
- We will however write to all 7500 of our assisted collection customers to provide a hard copy of next year’s collection calendar and to confirm that collections will continue as usual.
Christmas Tree Recycling
- Residents don’t need a garden waste permit to have their tree recycled.
- Trees can be taken to any of our three recycling centres (residents must book an appointment on our website to visit a recycling centre).
- We’ll also be collecting trees on designated dates for each street. Residents should look up their street on our festive dates web page later in December to find out which day we’re collecting in their street and what they need to do.
- Trees should be put out for collection by 6am on the designated collection date for that street. All decorations and bases should be removed and if it is 6ft tall or higher, please cut it in half first. Residents who use our:o kerbside wheelie bin service should place their tree neatly on the kerbside and make sure it doesn’t block access to the pavement
- Communal bin users should place their trees neatly at the side of the bin and make sure it’s not blocking access to the bin, pavement or road.
Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRC)
There are changes to opening hours at recycling centres over the festive period. Residents must book an appointment via our website to visit one of our recycling centres. In the event of severe weather, we may need to close the centres at short notice – this will be communicated via to users via email and our corporate social media channel.
|24 Dec||25 Dec||26 Dec||27 – 31 Dec||1 – 2 Jan||3 Jan|
|Craigmillar||8.30 – 5||CLOSED||CLOSED||8.30 – 5||CLOSED||8.30 – 5|
|Seafield||8.30 – 5||CLOSED||CLOSED||8.30 – 5||CLOSED||8.30 – 5|
|Sighthill||8.30 – 5||CLOSED||CLOSED||8.30 – 5||CLOSED||8.30 – 5|
There will be no special uplifts between 25 December and 9 January. Normal service will resume on 10 January 2022. Collection calendars
Bin collection calendars for 2022 will be available on our website at the end of December. Printed copies will be sent to the home addresses of residents who use our assisted collections service.
A multi-channel communications campaign is planned to run during December to:
- encourage people to ‘go green’ this Christmas by cutting down on the amount of packaging they buy and recycle as much waste as possible – videos below.
- advise residents about:
- changes to collections and waste services during the festive period; and o how to recycle their Christmas trees.
Any service delays during the festive period will be communicated via Twitter and our website (@edinhelp and @Edinburgh_CC).
More information about this year’s festive waste arrangements can be found at www.edinburgh.gov.uk/festivedates
Links to Festive Video Resources, Press Release and Christmas Landing Page